McCaskey High School is located on the east side of Lancaster and named in honor of John Piersol McCaskey, a Lancaster educator. Construction began on its first building (seen above) in August of 1936 as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration. By the time of its opening on May 3, 1938, accepting the first integrated class of students, many viewed “JP” or “JPM” as it is often referred to, as frivolous and doomed to failure. To the contrary, the school developed a reputation for excellence in “sport and learning” with the Olympic Gold Medal and the Academy Award among the honors received by its graduates . . . from the first class alone!
56 years later, in 1994, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for a second building on the McCaskey Campus called McCaskey East, which would be most often referred to simply as “East.”
McCaskey East opened in 1996.